Whether you like it or not, social media is here to stay. The culture of memes and viral posts of cats will only continue to grow. You can either fight it or use social media as a tool to help grow your business and move the needle forward.
We say, you use it.
Whether you’re a small business (like us) or in the major leagues with companies like Apple, social media offers a unique way to tell your story and build meaningful relationships with your audience.
And no matter what industry you’re in, this is important in creating a successful brand.
The bottom line is: social media can help your bottom line.
The general consensus is that social media marketing is cheaper than traditional marketing. Instead of needing to spend $5,000 on an ad, you can spend $500 on a successful social media campaign, making it a cost effective and organic solution to your financial woes.
And it doesn’t require that much of a time investment to see financial benefits. The Social Media Examiner found that: “By spending as little as 6 hours per week, over 66% of marketers see lead generation benefits with social media.” This is because people are more likely to buy from brands they follow on social media, 57% more likely actually.
How can social media accomplish all of this, you ask?
We’ll tell you.
Here are 8 reasons why your business should invest in social media:
- Build Brand AwarenessWe want to meet people where they’re at. And the people are on social media. 3.48 billion in fact.
To show who you are – your voice, personality, ethics, integrity – social media is the perfect avenue to increase awareness of your brand. Social media provides a platform, 24/7, to continue to tell the story of who you are. Every time you post is a chance to teach someone more about you and that then presents the opportunity for connection. On that note…
- Develop Meaningful RelationshipsSocial media not only allows your audience to communicate with you, but you get to communicate back. This direct form of communication is quick, easy, and simple, enabling you to connect with people on a real human level. (Unless it’s a bot account and they’re really not human.)
You can constantly be in contact with your community, making your brand more approachable and accessible. Ultimately, you’re investing in your people, and that is extremely valuable. Forging authentic connections with people is what creates longevity for budding brands as well as legacy companies.
- Improve customer service Just as social media provides a platform for connection with your audience, it’s also a medium for customer service. It’s fast, straightforward, and it shows people who are not (yet) your customers how responsive you are to the needs of your tribe . Even by monitoring social media and the sentiment towards your company, you can preemptively address customers’ issues and build better processes within your business.
- Humanize your brand People like to connect with people – not faceless companies. They want to know there are real humans behind the brand. Using social media allows you to humanize your brand, which makes it easier to engage with your audience and, in turn, build brand loyalty.
- Increase Brand Loyalty All of these benefits will serve to increase brand loyalty. By showing you are, consistently and authentically, your audience becomes more familiar with your brand and then grow to trust you more. Especially if you take the time to connect with them.
- Audience Targeting and Cultivation With social media, you can be very specific about who you are connecting with and what they are learning about you.
First of all, the audience on social media is huge (in the billions, like we said before), providing a massive pool of potential customers, fans, and followers. You can run campaigns, ads, and other promotions that target people and narrow that large audience through a number of criteria.
Plus, you can find more people like your existing followers and expand your community. Through hashtags, for example, you can discover people with similar interests and posts. (Check out our blog on how to Improve Your # Game.)
If you’re feeling especially sneaky, you can even search through your competitors’ followers and engage with them, extending the reach of your social media presence.
- Establish Yourself as a Thought Leader While social media allows you to show different sides of your brand, it also lets you communicate your expertise and establish yourself as a thought leader in the field. Sharing your knowledge with your followers isn’t only helpful, but it demonstrates your value. The more expertise you share, the more valuable you become, and the more trust you cultivate.
You want to be the account that followers flock to when news in the industry breaks to see what your opinion is so they can formulate their own.
- Driving inbound traffic So, what does all of this hard work really do in terms of your return?
It drives your inbound traffic. (And saves you money in marketing while also generating sales, as we described above.)
In fact, the Social Media Examiner found that increased traffic was the second major benefit of social media marketing in 2018, with 78% of marketers reporting positive results. By the way, the first was increased exposure…we told you so.
Working with clients like RiDe Oakland and Biro and Sons (expert silversmiths based in San Francisco), we’ve seen massive results for businesses looking to the engage their community and grow their base of customers through social media. And we want the same success for you.
Whether you hire an accomplished communications team (you know how to reach us) or do it in-house (but really, you should call our team), social media can help your business connect to your audience on a deeper level, elevate your brand, and achieve your financial goals.